Randall Keith talks about the Mercury News’ web, mobile and social media initiatives

Video streaming by Ustream

rgk_mug_082011A Stanford grad, Randall Keith first broke into journalism as a photographer at the Daily. He then moved up to photo editor, and finally became one of the two news editors at the time. From there, Keith rapidly moved into the professional news world.

“I skipped graduation to start a job as the city hall reporter at the Concord Monitor in New Hampshire,” Keith said.

From there, his area of interest became more defined; he arrived at the Mercury in the late 90’s to become the telecom and e-commerce editor.

“I was fascinated with how technology was changing our lives. No better story and no better place to cover it than Silicon Valley.”

Keith is currently the Managing Editor for the Digital division of the Bay Area News Group sites, mobile apps and social media efforts. His tasks include overseeing the work of web producers and digital editors in multiple newsrooms, in addition to working with the Group’s breaking news teams and photo departments.

His first purely digital job involved overseeing news content on MercuryNews.com, but those responsibilities expanded over the years to include the rest of the Bay Area digital properties.

“We’re all trying to figure out how to keep strong journalism going on digital platforms that today don’t produce enough revenue to replace what’s disappearing on the print side,” Keith said. “My job gives me the opportunity to help guide our journalism and also take on that larger challenge facing news organizations.”

Links to a few of the Bay Area News Group’s publications.

The San Jose Mercury News

The Santa Cruz Sentinel

The Oakland Tribune

This week’s Twitter handles and hashtags.

#stanfordj291

@mercnews

@rgkeith